These two reports from different sources have been edited for brevity.
A brief video follows showing world reaction to the unfolding events.
1. The Daily Mirror via Truthseeker
At least 40 people have been killed and 20 seriously injured in co-ordinated terror attacks at two mosques. Innocent worshippers were shot at point blank range in Christchurch, New Zealand, during Friday prayers. One of the suspected gunmen – named as Australian national Brenton Tarrant – broadcast the horrific scenes live on Facebook. He published a chilling white supremacy manifesto shortly before going on his rampage.
AUSTRALIAN GUNMAN BRENTON TARRANT
DESCRIBED AS A “WHITE SUPREMACIST”
The killer’s distressing footage shows dozens of bullets being fired at worshippers, including some who appear already dead. Worshippers, both dead or wounded, lay huddled on the floor of the mosque. New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed the death toll of 40 dead and at least 20 others seriously injured.
LD: The death toll is reportedly much higher.
See Article 2 posted below.
Ms Ardern called it “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”. She added that four people had been taken into police custody and held extremist views but none had been on any police watchlists. Police Commissioner Mike Bush said: “Four are in custody. Three are men and one is a woman.
In Tarrant’s live-stream, he can be seen parking his vehicle outside the Hagley Park mosque, before taking two guns and walking a short distance to the entrance of the building.
He then opened fire.
Over the course of five minutes, he repeatedly shoots worshippers, leaving well over a dozen bodies in one room alone. He returned to the car during that period to change guns, before going back to the mosque to shoot anyone showing signs of life. Police said the second mosque attacked was in the suburb of Linwood. All Christchurch schools and council buildings were placed into lockdown.
Hundreds of people were inside the mosques for afternoon prayers at the time. One witness described seeing “blood everywhere” and one man said there were “bodies all over me”. Another worshipper was reportedly heard wailing “my wife is dead!”
Police urged people to stay away from mosques amid fears of further attacks.
The Australian gunman who livestreamed himself waging a terrorist attack in Christchurch has been charged with murder for killing 49 people and injuring 48 others. The attacks took place at Al Noor Mosque in the city’s centre and at Masjid mosque in the suburb of Linwood.
Brenton Harrison Tarrant, an Australian citizen living in Dunedin, made a brief appearance in court this morning flanked by 11 security guards. Tarrant, who hails from Grafton in northern New South Wales, began his horrific massacre at 1.40pm.
In a 73-page manifesto posted online, he described himself as “just a regular White man”. The 28-year-old noted he was born “to a working class, low-income family … who decided to take a stand to ensure a future for my people”.
Christchurch continues to reel from his acts that have sparked an enormous police response right across the country. More details are emerging about the background of the gunman, who said he carried out the attack to “directly reduce immigration rates to European lands”.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed the man is an Australian-born citizen and called him “an extremist, right-wing, violent terrorist”. He was a student at the local high school and went on to work at a gym, where his former boss said he regularly volunteered his time to train kids for free. In April 2010, his father died suddenly of cancer aged 49, leading Tarrant to set off on a seven-year trip around the world.
It was at some time during this journey that former friends now speculate he was “perhaps radicalised”.
“Nowhere is free from mass immigration.”
He described his reasons for the attack as being “to show the invaders that our lands will never be their lands, our homelands are our own and that, as long as a white man still lives, they will NEVER conquer our lands and they will never replace our people”.
Tarrant revealed he had been planning an attack for up to two years, noting he decided on Christchurch three months ago.
“An attack in New Zealand would bring to attention the assault on our civilisation,” he said. “Nowhere in the world is safe. The invaders are in all of our lands, even in the remotest areas of the world.” He added, “There’s nowhere left to go that is safe. Nowhere is free from mass immigration.”
VIDEO : 3.57 mins